Clause 5.2 How to Establish, Draft and Communicate a Quality Policy
The quality policy is a statement that sets the direction of the organization. It is usually a set of sentences that defines the mission and aim of the organization’s quality management system. We can also term it as a mission or vision statement concerning a quality management system.
The clauses we are going to cover in this article are mentioned below:
- 5.2 Policy
- 5.2.1 Establishing the quality policy
- 5.2.2 Communicating the quality policy
Quality Policy Definition
Moreover, as explained by ISO 9000:2015 it is the mission statement set by the top management and aligned with the strategic direction of the organization.
Strategy is the planning to achieve a long-term objective.
Quality policy meaning is “the policy which is been made as a goal for the improvement of the overall organization’s quality”
Establishing the Quality Policy
It is the responsibility of top management to establish, implement and maintain a quality policy. Moreover, the top management must ensure that the policy should be appropriate and according to the context of the organization.
We have already studied in the previous sections about the context of the organization, the context let us find out this important information:
- Internal and external issues
- Interested parties and their needs and expectations
- Scope of the organization
While establishing the quality policy the above-mentioned information must be kept in mind. For example, keeping the scope in consideration means that policy must not include any point which contradicts the essence of products or services provided by the organization.
Mandatory Quality Policy Commitments
As far as the development of the quality policy is concerned, as per standard, certain mandatory commitments must be included in the policy statement, these commitments are:
- Commitment to satisfy applicable requirements; This means that the policy statement must include that organization is committed to fulfilling all the legal and applicable requirements (by the
- Commitment to continual improvement of the quality management system. This means that the policy statement must include that organization is committed to continual improvement of the QMS.
Communicating the Quality Policy
After the establishment and development of the quality policy, approval by the top management and leadership. The next thing is its “communication”!
Below are the clauses mentioned by the standard:
The quality policy shall:
a) be available and be maintained as documented information;
b) be communicated, understood, and applied within the organization;
c) be available to relevant interested parties, as appropriate.
As mentioned above the standard require 3 things in this clause:
- The policy must be documented
- It must be communicated in all organization
- And it is available to interested parties as well.
Let us explain it one by one:
The policy must be in a documented form. This is the 2nd documentation requirement in this standard. Previously in clause 4.3, we have read that “scope” must also be available in document form.
Moreover, the policy must be communicated, understood, and applied in all organizations.
- Firstly, it must be communicated. For communication there can be several modes can be used, for example;
- Printing and displaying the policy at prominent locations all over the company
- Emailing the policy to the employees and making sure they have read it
- Communicating policy through company magazine or newsletter
- Secondly, it must be understood by all team members, for which training and awareness sessions can be conducted.
- Thirdly, the application of the policy must be ensured which can certainly be done through the overall implementation of the policy.
Availablity to interested parties
Furthermore, the policy document must be made available for interested parties as well. For this whenever, any interested party requires the q-policy document the company is bound to provide it to them.
This task can be easily accomplished by making the quality policy available online on the website. Or displaying it outside the company as a document or poster. So that interested parties can easily access it.
Quality Policy Examples
Although the quality policy is the signature document for any organization, it is a unique statement reflecting organizations’ plans and strategies.
This means that if you are using/copying some other company’s policy then you are not focusing on your strategies.
However for inspiration and learning purposes, here I am attaching some samples/ examples of quality policies of some leading industries i.e. pharmaceutical, manufacturing, construction, etc.
For your easiness, I have compiled about 20+ quality policy pdf controlled documents, and are available for download here
Quality policy examples for manufacturing company
Here is a policy for manufacturing companies, as mentioned above the mandatory commitments are underlined and bold:
//start- Colgate Palmolive – //
We shall provide quality products to satisfy our customer’s requirements and expectations.
To achieve customer satisfaction we undertake to develop and implement:
An effectively managed quality system that meets the international standard ISO 9001 and corporate quality standards.
A system of continuous quality improvement with employee involvement, motivation, and training.
Effective communication with our customers to understand their requirements and introduce new products to meet their expectations.
A system of supplier partnership by providing technical support to meet our quality standards.
We are committed to continuously improving our processes and products to maintain Colgate – Palmolive (Pakistan) Limited as the leading consumer products company in the country
//end- Colgate Palmolive – //
Quality policy for Construction Company
Here is a policy for a leading construction company, as mentioned above the mandatory commitments are underlined and bold:
//start- JJM CONSTRUCTION LTD. – //
JJM is committed to providing quality work to our customers that meet the project standards and specifications for materials, workmanship, tolerances, schedules, and public service while maintaining profitability and competitiveness.
JJM seeks to achieve quality by instilling the principle of “Building to Last” in the efforts of all levels of staff.
JJM ensures continual improvement through quality processes that are directed by a strong management team.
//end- JJM CONSTRUCTION LTD. – //
Quality policy for Pharmaceutical Company
Here is a policy for a leading pharmaceutical company in Pakistan, as mentioned above the mandatory commitments are underlined and bold:
Glaxo Smith Kline:
//start- Glaxo Smith Kline //
In alignment with GSK’s quality vision which is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer. It is the policy of GSK Pakistan to:
• Fostering a quality mindset with the objective of developing, manufacturing, and providing products and services with zero defects that are trusted and preferred by individuals and families.
• Complying with relevant laws and regulations as well as internal GSK requirements
• Continuously challenging ourselves to improve the quality management system to guarantee product safety, prevent quality incidents and eliminate defects through the review of quality objectives and results.
• Each one of us Must have the power to influence Quality and trust through our leadership, dedication, and passion.
//end – Glaxo Smith Kline //
If you need more policy statement examples for any specific industry you can feel free to comment below. We will also attach the quality policy template for your easiness in the next blogs which can be made available for download.